Škoda head of interior design’s insights into the Enyaq iV

LinkedIn +

Škoda is set to premier its Enyaq iV, the company’s first electric production car, in September. Ahead of its official launch, Norbert Weber, head of interior design at the company, has given a brief overview of the design elements that will be implemented in the vehicle. In addition to the detail covered in the video, Weber has also provided some additional insight into the concepts behind the design via this interview conducted by Škoda.

This is the first Škoda based on the modular electrification toolkit (MEB). What changes has Škoda made to the interior design of this entirely new vehicle compared with an IC-engined car?
The Enyaq iV benefits from the MEB platform’s long wheelbase, which – in relation to the body dimensions – offers an exceptionally spacious interior. The flat floor, which lacks the central tunnel we find in vehicles with combustion engines, also contributes to this. We have used this conceptual feature to create a feeling of even more space. This can be seen, for example, on the new dashboard, which is arranged over several levels.

You are talking about a new interior design concept for the Enyaq iV. Could you describe this in greater detail?
The new design concept of the Enyaq iV combines spaciousness and a ‘lounge feeling’. Instead of the usual equipment lines and numerous additional options, we are offering our new Design Selections for the first time in the Enyaq iV. These are reminiscent of modern living environments, featuring perfectly coordinated colors and materials. Additionally, we offer clearly structured option packages in various themes, with some separate options available for all models. This means we can provide customers with choices that are clear and simple yet distinctly unique.

What are the most significant changes to the interior architecture?
Here, the lack of a central tunnel offers numerous possibilities. At the front, we used this space for an additional storage compartment beneath the center console, which is arranged over several levels. Thanks to the long wheelbase, rear passengers benefit from extra space in front of the center seat as well as the exceptionally generous legroom for the seats either side. In addition to this remarkable amount of space for passengers, the Enyaq iV also offers a boot capacity of 585 liters [21ft3].

How would you describe the interior design?
Clear, airy, innovative and sustainable. Clear, thanks to how easy it is to configure the Design Selections and the theme packages; airy, because of its roominess and excellent sense of space; innovative, because of features such as the 13in central screen and the new head-up display, including augmented reality; and sustainable, thanks to the use of natural and recycled materials.

What new colors and new and sustainable materials are being used in a car for the first time?
In one Design Selection, for example, the seat covers are made of 40% new wool and bear The Woolmark Company seal. The remaining 60% of the blend is polyester from recycled PET bottles. These covers have a unique feel and ensure a pleasant seating climate. Another example is the leather, which is produced in a particularly sustainable way, using an extract from olive tree leaves instead of chemicals for tanning.

What do you consider to be the design highlights of the interior?
I particularly like the decorative trim that spans the entire width of the Enyaq iV from the dashboard to the door panels, which enhances the sense of space. Below the central display, it references the shape of the Škoda grille and also serves as a rest for the hand operating the touchscreen. It is surrounded by a particularly soft material that extends throughout the interior and creates the feeling of sitting on a sofa.



Share this story:

About Author

Comments are closed.